KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD, YOUR HANDS UPON THE WHEEL
September 14, 2023
By the Risk Management Team
Sunz Insurance Risk Management Team wants to help keep you, your employees, and our roadways safe. We are dedicated to enhancing safety and wellness practices for our Insureds and want to provide you with the tools, knowledge, and resources to reduce driving-related risk.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it estimate that fatalities in distraction-affected crashes has increased 12% from 3,154 in 2020 to 3,522 in 2021. Even with these numbers, distraction is likely underreported due to the difficulties to detect during crash investigations.
Any activity that diverts the driver’s attention from driving, including talking, texting, or general use of your phone, eating and drinking, talking to people in your vehicle, adjusting controls on entertainment and navigation systems – anything that takes your attention away from the task of safe driving – is distracted driving.
How to Improve as a Company
Establish a formal driving policy.
• Provides the foundation of any distracted driving prevention program.
• Includes both company and personal vehicles for company business or errands.
• Formalizes company position on mobile devices and other distractions while driving.
Communicate safe driving expectations.
• Start from day one with any new employees an implement immediately with current employees.
• Require all employees who could drive for company business, for any reason, acknowledge in writing the company’s safe driving policy.
• Reiterate expectations frequently.
Conduct regular trainings.
• Reinforce defensive driving and hazard avoidance techniques.
• Incorporate education on new laws, regulations, and equipment.
Individual Driving Tips
• Always wear a seat belt
• Get plenty of rest before driving.
• Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• Avoid distractions – if needed, pull over.
• Continuously scan the roadway for potential dangers.
• Stop every two hours for a break. Take a walk, stretch, refresh for the next leg of the trip.
Stay calm and reduce stress.
• Be patient and courteous to other drivers.
• Plan your trip in advance. Bring maps, directions, and program navigation systems prior to driving.
• Allow for extra travel time. If possible, avoid crowded roadways and busy driving times.
Brush up on more slip, trip, and fall prevention with these additional resources:
For assistance with distracted driving or any other safety needs for your company, employees, or clients, contact the SUNZ Insurance Risk Management Team.
We are here to help!
We shine by providing nationwide ‘A-rated’ coverage to PEOs, staffing agencies, transportation companies, and large companies. It is vital for an effective operation and profitable workers’ compensation program to control the amount of a claim when it happens and manage it efficiently and successfully. We first place a strong emphasis on prevention which minimizes the risk for claims. Our team of loss prevention professionals will provide you with the tools needed to have a safe and productive work environment. Embrace the power to be different and contact us today: email@example.com